Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Your 2nd Worst Critics

I don't think I'm gonna win a popularity contest with this post, but it's a subject worth mentioning.
If you're anything like me (or my Dad) that's who I get it from... you're a Dreamer.   Full of ideas, thoughts, aspirations, inventions... you name it!  I can remember quite vividly my father, gazing out the kitchen window over the top of his paper while drinking his coffee in the morning... one foot up resting on his knee.  You could see it in his eyes and almost hear the wheels turning.... then out it would come "I think I'm gonna put a pool in" or "I think I'm gonna buy a horse"  or "I think I'm gonna build a miniature truck around a go cart"  whatever it might be... 9 times out of 10.... it never happened... the truck go cart did, so did the horse... but the pool did not.  Anyhow, all this to say... It's all his fault I'm the way I am! ;)  Love you Dad!  (and I rather love being a dreamer too!) :)

Seriously, when I announced to my Mom and my Husband that I was signed up to run this race, and I am going to shoot for losing 50 pounds by eating right along the way.  OH and I think I might keep a daily blog to tie my love of writing and running together, why not.... well let's just say the reaction was... not something to write home (or on your blog) about.  So of course I'm about to. :)
 I asked my husband after my first entry, did you get a chance to read my blog.... nagh.  2nd entry?  Nagh.... finally by the 3rd I had to ask what gives?!
His reply, and I quote: "Why should I read it you're not gonna do it anyway."
Ouch!

With my track record I suppose it should be understood... but the truth hurts!
Then I go to my Mom, she loves me!  Mom, did you read my blog.... what did you think?
"You're crazy!  Why would you want to run 10 miles and post your body pictures on the internet..."   she didn't get it either and between you and me, I think she too was probably thinking, ya... I'll believe it when I see it!  She's tuned in now, because she does love my writing style even if she doesn't love running!  Thanks Mom!  ;)  Love you!

To redeem my husband a bit here... he had an appointment with the cardiologist for some chest pain yesterday.  He too is over weight and has high cholesterol, but the chest pains are new.  We figured he's 38 this year... may be worth a look see.  Turns out he has Hypertension.  And the cardiologist must have given him a good 'listen here, boy' cause he came home and was suddenly reading my blog... and asking lots of questions... like, "can I do it too?"  So what does her own worst critic say to her 2nd worst critic?
Sure!  BUT, you have to take the humiliating BIG picture before shots and post them on the blog too!  :)  Revenge is sweet and he's a good sport.... so I must warn you that the next portion of the blog may not be suitable for children and contains some nudity.

Enter, the Brave Husband:
He's 5'8"
236 pounds, goal weight is 200
and I didn't get a chance to wrap the measuring tape around him, but the only place he's big is in his belly and his waste is a 40-41.


(applause to the brave Husband)

So the moral of the story goes something like this.  The people were closest to, for better or worse... know us the best!  Our strengths, our weakness's ... and they love us and support us (eventually) anyhow!  It just might take some extra hard work and dedication before you get their attention... if you're a dreamer who doesn't finish things like I am!

So to my 2nd Worst Critics, the 1st being myself of course... because no one can resist some good self deprecation... Thank you for loving me for my strengths and my weaknesses and motivating me... even if it's just by getting out there and proving you wrong so I can say... "neener neener neener, I told you so!"  :)

"Don't Ever Give Up!"


2 comments:

  1. Mel you've made my night! My husband and I had a good laugh. I think we can relate. Love your effort & am supporting you & cheering you on from down under!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH P! You've made my day! :) Thanks so much, for taking the time to stop by and read and relate! Thanks too, for the love and support from Down Under!! Woot!! :)

    ReplyDelete