Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Break

Ok, so as you know... I'm still battling this cold and sinus infection... which is why you're not seeing any posts about running or diet lately... my diet has been pretty bland though... not a lot tastes very good when you're sick so it's easy to eat well.  And we just got a big snow storm ... so even if I were well, I would only be inside on the elliptical or wii fitness games anyhow.  So needless to say I've been spending a lot of time in bed lately and in doing so I just caught an episode of MTV's new reality-documentary, The Break!


I don't know if you've seen it yet, but it was worth a watch.  You'll meet Anne Malhum, a young woman (and Runner) who has a desire to help the homeless... in particular the very young homeless who have found themselves pushed out of their homes before they had a chance to finish school or make some sort of way for themselves.  She not only counsels these youth and helps them find solutions to their problems, such as where they might find their next meal, or bed... but also how they might find a job in order to provide what they need for themselves.  In addition, she gives them each a pair of new running shoes and invites them to run with her!  She feels that by strengthening them through running, it might help them, like it does for her... to feel strong enough to conquer other goals and obstacles in their lives!


YES!!!!






Thank you Anne Mulhum!!  I completely get it!  It's not enough for these youth to get a bed, or a meal, a new outfit or even a job... they must feel like they deserve it!  They must feel like they are worth that and more!  They must feel empowered!  You must ignite their spark if you want them to truly seize the 'Break' they've been given!!


Now it doesn't have to be running, but I relate because that's what I get from running too!  Running has always made me feel strong and capable and those feelings, that spark ignited... transcends to every area and person in your life!  I hope to one day be strong enough to not only do this for myself but for those around me!


I'm wondering how many other Mom's out there are feeling sluggish and tired and old?!  How many of you just want to 'run away' from home most days!?  How many of you wish you could have more energy, less weight and feel more happy and positive?!  Being a Mom means we sacrifice on a daily basis our wants and needs often times for those we love and nurture.  And that means ANYONE and EVERYONE but ourselves.  Somehow, we Mom's need to find a way to start including OURSELF into that equation as if we are our own best friend, child, spouse, mother, father, grandparent, dog, cat.... whatever!?  Usually even the pet's needs take priority over our own!?  Am I right?!


Then we wonder how we got here, what's wrong with us!?  Why can't we just be happy?!  We have so much to be happy for?!  


We're not happy because even though this is our life... we don't feel like we're in control of it!  
We don't feel like we have options!  We feel like we are stuck, because what happens if I leave?!  Their father, my mother,... the babysitter... whomever... doesn't know every little thing about my child like I do... how will they manage!?  And besides, if I do what I want to, that kinda makes me selfish and a bad Mom, right!?  Seriously, we are our own worst enemies.... well, not quite... other Mother's can be our worser enemies... watching and judging us to make themselves feel better.  I've never met a more unhappy bunch then the Mom's.  I've never been more unhappy then I am now, as a Mom!
It's not the kids fault.  We love them!  We would die for them!  We would do it all again, for them!  It's just that we've forgotten about ourselves in the mix of all the balls we juggle!  We've forgotten that we too, are people, individuals with thoughts, ideas, hobbies, passions, goals, dreams, needs, wants.... we have them!  


Or maybe I just have a mouse in my pocket?!  We,weee, weeeeeeee.... maybe it's just me!?


But if I'm not wrong, and you are a Mom reading this now... I hope you'll take some time today just for you!
Think about whatever it is that empowers you and what it would take to ignite that spark in you!!


If you think it could be running/walking or crawling... join me!  
I want to start a Mom's running group, "Mom's On the RUN!"  or M.O.T.R. and our slogan can be "JUST RUN, RUN AWAY!!"  :)   And yes Kristin, our theme song can most definitely be Sister Christian - by Night Ranger...
"Motor Revved... what's your price for flight.... you'll be all right tonight...."   HAhaha....
I'm kidding, but I'm serious... let's do it!  We can start small and train for a 5K or maybe one of those fun muddy runs where you get to drink beer, camp out and party after?!  Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment