Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gearing Up!

So... being that it's been nearly 15 years since I've really ran or trained.  And seeing that I am a good 50 pounds heavier than I was then.  Considering that I have high arches, I pronate, my gait is weird, I have weird bones all over my feet that rub wrong.  I have fractures in my spine, torn cartilage in both knees... arthritis in my neck, feet and hands and really bad Sciatica.  I probably shouldn't be running at all.  Quite frankly, it is one of the worst things you can do to your joints and body... but at this point, this extra weight I'm carrying isn't healthy either.

Since running is the one physical activity I've always enjoyed... I've decided to just proceed with caution.
One of the most important things you can do as a runner is to purchase the correct running shoe for you!  This is so much easier said than done however, even with the help of trained professionals!  You will probably shell out a small fortune just finding the right shoes.... but the way I look at it, it's cheaper than all of rehab and physical therapy I would need later for injuries.  And since the shoes are only gently used when you figure out they're not the perfect match you can possibly recoup some of your losses on ebay, craigslist or the like.  Here was an article I finally found that helped me figure out what type of shoe I would need.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/running-shoe-guide/

So when shopping for my new running shoes, I went straight to Nike.  Because 15 years ago, they made my favorite running shoe!  Well a lot has changed since then and Nike no longer seems to work for me!  I think I tried all of them on and bought 2 different pair before I accepted this fact.  No more Nike!?  But what's a girl to do!?  I am a running shoe orphan... and there are so many options out there!

I started reading reviews and articles about finding the right shoe.  It seems my problem is that I need both a cushion shoe and a support shoe, to my knowledge you can't get both?!
The third pair of shoes I bought were Asics.   They got great reviews but they just didn't work for me.  I had pain throughout my entire body from doing 5 miles of walking... just walking!  I developed plantar fasciitis previously and these shoes seemed to make it worse!
So next I tried the Brooks.  I thought for sure, this is the shoe!  I had a professional help me pick them out.  I loved the way they felt in the store!  They fixed my pronating problem and supported my arches... they felt great!  Then I got out on the trails.  OUCH!  I couldn't run more than a half mile with out feeling pain under my knees and especially in my shins!  I felt like I had to stop running or I'd get shin splints, but I wasn't winded or tired . I felt like I could keep running if it weren't for these particular pains.  This is what led me to believe that I had the wrong shoe... even though at this point, I felt like it was my problem.  There must be something wrong with me!?  I had shelled out over $400 already and still hadn't found what I needed.  I was discouraged and frustrated!  Really, it would have been so easy for me just to throw in the towel right here and say I am too old, too fat, too broken and I can't do this!!

Instead, I decided to do some more research.  Surely, I couldn't be the only person out there having trouble with their shoes?!  I wondered, how many people have simply put on any old shoe and tried to run... felt pain and quit.  How many people have assumed they are not a runner or they can't run, simply because they were in the wrong shoes?!

I found a thread on Runner's World about 'barefoot running.'  It got me thinking about the way I was coached and trained to run in high school and how it most likely led to so many of my injuries.  I was always taught to run heel to toe!  You drive off your heels and roll off your toes, with long strides!

While it might look pretty, it doesn't make a lot of sense and causes more problems and impact on your body and joints.  Really, for the least amount of pain, strain or injury... we should be leaning slightly forward, taking shorter strides and landing on the middle of our feet, rolling off our toes.  There is a shoe FOR ALL FOOT TYPES that supports just this style of running and it's made my Newton!  I swear they are not paying me to write this... but Newton if you're reading and want to advertise here (and send me free shoes) ;), you can gladly have the space!
But seriously, I feel indebted to them for creating such an incredible shoe!  I know a lot of runner's find them unstable and weird, I'm usually in the minority for most things... but they work for me!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fBh2qH4QbM

I got the Newton Trail shoe and I love them... they're really bright... but honestly, I like that part too! :)
They're pricey, but worth every penny!
Here's is THE shoe for me... finally!  :)
http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NWT115/

This was my fifth running shoe purchase, so I finally found a website that allows you to exchange your shoes within 60 days of purchase, no questions asked... if they're not the right shoe for you!  Course, I found the right shoe on this purchase and wont need to... but why oh why did I not find them for my other 4 purchases?!
Here's a link to their website if you're interested and you can get 10% with this special link:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/offer/referAfriend.jsp?tellapal.id=9fbc2abf-8b5d-4276-93a4-b45048b1dfa1&e=melgrimsug%40yahoo.com&f=Melisa&l=Sugden&dist_src=facebook&fb_source=message

If you sign up for VIP, I think it's like $1.99... you get free, faster shipping, and discounts off the shoes!  I saved $13 even with the $1.99 VIP membership due.  I was impressed when I received my new shoes too that they included a return address label with the POSTAGE PAID!  Unbelievable!  They will pay to have you send your used shoes back if they don't work?!  Wow, pretty amazing customer service, again I kicked myself for not buying my previous 4 pairs there.  They were awesome with my order too! I had to call and cancel the first one after reading reviews that Newton's run a FULL size larger than you would usually wear, so I am a 7 and a half, I bought 8's... I had to call, cancel and reorder 8 and a half's. They handled it no problem and got them out the same day!  I can't say enough great things about this company, I'll be buying all of my running shoes here for now on!  They also participate with I Give... a fundraising opportunity where a percentage of your purchase is donated to the charity of your choice.  You must however, install the IGive button on your computer.
http://www.igive.com/

My first run on the Newton's I ran nearly 3 miles... only had to stop a few times, but not due to the shoe! Simply because I couldn't breath and had to cough up a lung as if I had been smoking my whole life!  Seriously out of shape here folks!

Next I headed over to Amazon and purchased a pedometer watch!  It only set me back around $30.  And it tells time, keeps track of your heart rate,  has a stop watch, counts calories and fat burned, tells you your speed, distance etc... it'll really help me to keep accurate stats on my training runs.

I've been researching training programs and proper diets.... I'll be getting into that more soon, but for now we're battling strep throat this week so I'm laying low with chicken soup!

So I'm all geared up to go now and ready to run!

If you are local and ever feel like walking or running with me... trust me, I'm slow... just let me know!  Or if you're interested in running the race with me!?  I'd love a buddy!

Happy Trails,
~Mel

3 comments:

  1. Shoes are an indispensable thing in my life. I wear frye molly
    when I go out, change slippers when I go home, and wear prescribed school shoes when I go to school... In short, shoes occupy an important place in our lives.

    frye leather will have different feelings. Summer shoes are cooler, while winter shoes are warmer; high-heeled shoes are more tiring and can damage your ankles, and are easy to twist your feet. Flat shoes are more comfortable; frye melanieare easier to wear, and smaller shoes are worn. Will grind the feet. So only if the shoes fit the feet, they will be comfortable to wear

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a stronger vision, you can choose a lighter gray. Decreasing the saturation of the iris will make you look cool. The rainbow lenses will have a blue tone and a "hybrid" feeling. Exotic color style
    Black, gray and brown are the buy rainbow colored contact lenses, which meet the needs of Asian girls for natural makeup. Everyone knows that Europeans and Americans have colored irises, so when expressing some exotic makeup, I will choose the big blue and big green models that match them.
    Using makeup techniques to deepen the contours of the eyes, coupled with the most important cute contacts, the eyes really look like Europeans and Americans.
    For the same Frozen ELSA imitation makeup, I also used blue color contact lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In recent years, mixed-racerainbow colored contacts are very popular. Generally, mixed-race color contact lenses are mostly light-colored ones, but why do some friends feel strange when they wear light-colored color contact lenses? In fact, it lies in your inherent pupil color.
    As far as daily life is concerned, if people with dark eyes use light grey contact lenses, the color of their own eyes will be different, so it will be unnatural and the eyes will not change from dark to light, so it is easy to become cataracts. Effect.
    For example, if a girl with dark eyes uses a light gray mixed-blood color cosmetic contact lenses, the color of the reptile eye contacts and their own eyeball colors will not blend well, and there will be some feeling of cataracts, so deep For color pupils, it is much better to use natural dark color pupils.

    ReplyDelete