Monday, April 30, 2012

The Light At The End Of The Refrigerator...

The Light at the End of the Refrigerator is actually the title of a book my Mom bought when I was a kid... all about different foods that heal.

That book was what originally got me thinking of food in terms of it's nutritional, healing properties rather than just to fill a physical or emotional void.

But today, I'm using this title in it's literal sense of the word...

When is the last time you've seen the light at the end of your refrigerator?

If you're as bad as me, it's been at least a year!

So since we eat with our eyes first... it's important that our fridge be clean, inviting and organized.

That way we know exactly what we have and it's easier to decide what to eat!
If you're working on a whole foods, raw diet... like I'm about to get serious about doing here with the juicing... then a clean fridge is even more important since produce has a shorter shelf life!

SO today, I went grocery shopping.... and before putting the groceries away... while the fridge was nearly empty, I emptied it and scrubbed it down!

Now I didn't take before pictures because I didn't realize this would become my blog entry for the day... but you can use your imagination!

IT. WAS. NASTY!!!

There was what I presume to be a plum at one point that had turned itself into a prune while resting on the light cover in the back bottom of my fridge!  EWE!  Some sort of brown, sticky stuff that I assume was liquid at one point before it hardened on the back of the fridge... drizzled down all the shelves to the basin below!  It was a witch to scrub off!  The sides and glass were smudged and contained crumbs!

No wonder I kept losing my fresh stuff... mixed up with expired, moldy, old stuff!
What a waste of time and money... and food!

How many times have I opened the fridge and then closed it again, with out even realizing that it was because I was not enticed with the eye enough to actually pull anything out and do something with it!?!

SO, no more!
For now on, I'm going to make an effort to keep it looking like this:




Pretty huh?! :)

Now what would you say if I told you that about 75% of what you see here I purchased today for less than $60?! 
And we'll eat on this for about a week... as a family of 5!

I hear a lot of people using the excuse that they can't afford to eat healthy!

I call BS!  
I have actually cut 30% off the to top of my grocery budget by eating only what's on the outside aisles of the grocery store... shopping sales helps too! 

But it's actually a lot less expensive to eat the right things... IF you're not trying to buy the junk too!

So that's my progress towards my goal today... might have a bum ankle... or wheel as my girlfriend put it, but that doesn't mean there isn't something small I can do each day to improve my chances of success!

Salute!  To your Health!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! Hitting the local farmers markets each week, since you're moving to more and more produce, should also help to shrink the grocery bill. Plus, since you would be eating more seasonally,there's always variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben is that you!? Broke ass brewer!? LOL! That is hilarious! :) YES!! I can not wait for the farmers markets to start up... and harvest around here is rock'n! I want to learn more about canning too... to cut down on the expense and preserve the fresh stuff for the winter! SO MUCH to learn! ;)

    ReplyDelete