Saturday, July 21, 2012

DOIN' IT!

I saw a shirt by Nike of course that said "Doin' It!" and I had to get it for race day!
No matter what, today,... I was DOIN' IT!

15K Baby!

I just did it!  :)  (Sighhhhhh)  relief.  It's been a long 18 weeks of ups and downs,
while trying to train for this race!

I can barely walk, I pulled my hamstring... and I have blisters on my feet.

BUT I DID IT!  :)

I wasn't the fastest, not even close!!  BUT I DID IT!
I had 60 year olds passing me (they were ripped and in excellent shape... but still) I DID IT!
My walkman, got NO reception forcing me to run with out music, which I have no doubt added at least 30 minutes to my overall time... BUT I DID IT!
It was hot, humid, long and painful... BUT I DID IT!

I did it!
And I still can't believe it!

I averaged a 15 minute mile... not very good at all... BUT I DID IT!

Here's how it went...

As we lined up on the starting line the race director said
"raise your hand if you're running this race for the 1st time!"
I and many others raised their hands... people clapped.  Then she said...
"Raise your hand if this is your first race?"

I kid you not, I was the only one to raise my hand.
I received a round of applause at which I promptly bowed while the race director said,
"oh, you're brave!"  I said... "or stupid!?"  we all laughed and got on our marks!  GO!

I was off and running!
The first 2 miles, fine... easy peasy pudding pie!
at 2 1/2, BIG BERTHA... the big, quarter mile of hill was under foot and she brought me to a walk a few times...
Mile 3 through 5... pretty smooth, can't complain....
Mile 6... Holy Jolly Ranchers, WTF?!
Mile 6 for some reason was the hardest mile!!  I think I walked most of mile 6.
This was about where I pulled my hamstring on the left side!  I gimped along letting people pass me....
Mile 7... I decided Mile 7 should be lucky and I should pick it up!  Started with some short intervals.
8 counts of power walk, 8 counts of run, back and forth for the next 2 miles.
Mile 9, homestretch.... I could hear the cheering, I could hear the cow bells, I could hear the music...
I am almost home!
I run... as if I have no injuries, I run as if I have no pain... I run, as if I have a steak on my back and a bear is chasing me!  I RUN!
Mile 9.75.... I see my babies!!  I see my husband!  YAY!!  I made it!  I wanted to fall down right there in their arms and cry.
Nope, still another quarter mile to go.... the longest part of the entire race and in the grass no less!
I hate you grass.  I hate you, you last quarter mile.

But as I'm cursing the ground... next to me appears my oldest son, running along side of me!

"You did it Mom!  You did it!  I'm so proud of you!  Look, I found you a 4 leaf clover, take it for good luck!"
On the other side of me comes my middle son... "Mom, can we run with you?!"
YES!!  Let's finish this race!

And that's just what we did!

The race officials were kind enough to put medals around my kids necks as they crossed the finish line with their ol' Ma and you should have seen their faces!
They won!  I won!  We all won, in their little hearts... and no doubt we did!
Together!  I wouldn't have had it any other way!

This was more than a race for me.
It was a challenge.  It was a reminder, that I'm alive and that I am still an individual...
with race number 232 to be exact.
Today, I wasn't just a Momma, or a wife, a daughter or a friend....
I was a badass runner... as my friend Lacey would say!  ;)

And even though I wasn't the best, or the fastest... I finished.
I did what I set out to do!
And in my kids eyes, I am a winner, and they are winners... and that means the world to me!

Thank you all for following along on this long, painful, educational and motivational journey!
I've learned so much from my friends and readers and this has honestly been one of the greatest experiences I have ever had!  I'm really glad I put myself out there!

My goal, as soon as the dust settles here... and we arrive in Texas... is to finish losing the next 20 to 30 pounds and to get on my way to making and saving 15k  $$$ .... same title, new adventure!

Stay tuned! ;)

Ready to Run!




And I'm off, me and the other 600+ crazy people! ;)


That last quarter mile... ^


My boys... finishing the race with their Mama!


Their 1st Medals!


The Finish Line!

7 comments:

  1. Mel, I loved reading that! You actually brought tears to my eyes. I love that your boys finished the race with you. I want my kids to do that! Way to go. What an awesome accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, Leia! Thank You so much!!! I cried writing it! :) Documenting this really brought it to life for me, made it real! I sure appreciate the support you've given me, through this entire process! And I'm so happy for you and proud of you for challenging yourself as well! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome and inspiring! Good luck in Texas!

    Melissa caro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the first of what I'm sure will be many runs. A few weeks back a teammate and friend of mine did a half iron man. He's done a full, but at this particular Rae he cramped up during the running leg. I told him, and this applies to you too... Sometimes we learn the most about ourselves in the races where we "don't have it.". We call that having an HTFU moment. Sounds like you had an HTFU moment, be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm to curious, what in the heck does HTFU stand for? Have To F Up? LOL!? Thank Lee! I no doubt learned a ton about myself, and in general through this whole journey! A lot of which, I learned from you... so thank you! I will most definitely do more races in the future, as soon as the dust settles and I lose some more weight... my joints hate me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! HTFU stands for "Harden the F@#K UP." So for example when you're midway through the run, starting to cramp, dehydration and fatigue are setting in you tell your self to "HTFU." And when you gut it out and fight through the pain, and will your body to do things it doesn't want to do... you've had your self an HTFU moment. That also coincides with a quote from one of my favorite hard man cyclists Jens Voit... "Shut up legs!"

    ReplyDelete